Friday, August 25, 2006

A Homeschool Meme

1) ONE HOMESCHOOLING BOOK YOU HAVE ENJOYED?
Ok, I have a confession to make here, I have never actually read a homeschooling book. We started off doing school at home and then I eventually found my way to home based education after talking with some long term homeschool Mom's. I don't think any ONE method will work with all kids. I homeschooled my two sons in totally different ways, as their learning styles and interest are different.


2) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULDN'T BE WITHOUT?
The library. Who can afford to buy all the books? And the St. Martin Public Library is very homeschool friendly.

3) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH YOU HAD NEVER BOUGHT?
So far I haven't bought anything I regretted, but I usually do tons of research before making a purchase.

4) ONE RESOURCE YOU ENJOYED LAST YEAR?
EMC's Literature and the Language Arts the British Tradition.
Note I will not be using their American Tradition it's totally biased against the South. Their Unit on the Civil War doesn't have ONE white Southern writer in the entire unit, and leads one to believe the only cause of the Civil War was slavery (They did stick a small portion of a speech by Robert E. Lee in their extra reading section). Over all most of the writers I studied in school are missing from the book, and are replaced with people I have never heard of and have no interest in reading after reading the excerpts from the book. No wonder kids today don't like to read, if this is the literature that is forced on them. I am so thankful I had the chance to review the book before buying it. Next year I will be buying books, instead of any one American Literature Book. We are doing World Literature this year which I am enjoying.

5) ONE RESOURCE YOU WILL BE USING NEXT YEAR?
Power Glide Spanish Ultimate Year II we are doing Year I this year

6) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BUY?
That's really hard, there are so many I want. I have a whole wish list of books I want to use next year at Amazon.com. I'll be buying History of a Free Nation for sure though. While it's not perfect, it has tons of resource material and it at least attempts to explain the complex reasons behind events.

7) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH EXISTED?
A clone (why stop at one, clones?) of ME, so I could do housework, teach and blog at the same time.

8) ONE HOMESCHOOLING CATALOGUE YOU ENJOY READING?
Another deep dark secret, I don't use homeschooling catalogue's. I usually use the internet to find the materials I want.


9) ONE HOMESCHOOLING WEBSITE YOU USE ?
National Geographic Homework Help and we use the magazine in class.

10) TAG 5 PEOPLE
Natalie, Lioness, Nancy, Sheila, & Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam is not tolerated. I welcome on topic comments from you.