Sunday, June 30, 2013

College Info for Homeschoolers

My local Community College held a College Information Day for Homeschoolers. They seem to be eager to help homeschoolers transition to college and had lots of valuable information to provide.

We of course discussed scholarships, grants and loans.

But they also revealed they would take homeschool transcripts notarized by the parent, as long as you had the required Carnegie Units for graduation.

Here is a sample transcript modeled on the one I used to get my eldest son into college. This is not his actual transcript.

To find the students Grade Point Average (GPA) you add up the Credits (Carnegie Units), add up the Points then divide the Points Total by the Credits Total.

For 1 Credit (Carnegie Unit)
A = 4
B = 3
C = 2
D = 1
F = 0

For 1/2 Credit (Carnegie Unit)
A = 2
B = 1.5
C = 1
D = 0.5
F = 0

Carnegie Units required to graduate vary from State to State, so check the requirements for your state, and be sure to check the requirements for the year your child will be graduating as the info can change from year to year. It is also a good idea to check the requirements for admission to any universities your child may be interested in attending