Friday, November 21, 2008

Schools to act as weight police

Morrissette, D-Oklahoma City, said he wants confidential weight and measurement determinations, with parents notified if students are overweight or underweight. Parents with children in those categories could be visited by child welfare officials if they don’t act on the findings, he said. Seriously?

Continue reading

While obesity is a concern in the United States, the government has no business policing anyones weight.

But Oklahoma lawmakers aren't the only ones wanting to control peoples weight. Around the first of 2008 Mississippi lawmakers came up with this ridiculous proposal.

Nutrition experts are burning up calories in expressing their outrage over proposed legislation in Mississippi that would prohibit restaurants from serving obese customers.

They say the proposed bill, still in committee, is "ridiculous," "insane" and a wrong-headed approach to solving the national obesity epidemic.

State Rep. John Read, a Republican who is one of the bill's three authors, says he wasn't trying to offend anybody and never even expected the plan to become law.

3 comments:

  1. I have a very mild case of scoliosis, which my pediatrician growing up took a "wait & see" approach towards rather than recommending treatment. It never ended up worsening so obviously this was the correct thing to do.

    However, every year after the school's fitness test, the nurse would send home a note about my scoliosis that I was required to have my doctor sign. I suppose the school thought that it was looking out for its students' well-being but my family found it unnecessarily intrusive and a waste of time. They tried to get a waiver after the 2nd or 3rd year, but the school refused to grant one so I was stuck doing it until I was finally able to drop PE after 10th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a teen I would have been considered underweight, now I am close to my ideal size. My eldest would proably be considered underweight (he wears a 29" waist and is about 6'1") and my youngest would more then likely be considered overweight, he is built like his Father.

    We all eat the same stuff, I cook healthy nutritious meals most of the time. And we all get about the same amount of exercise.

    There is so much that goes into to determining someones weight allowing schools to "report" parents because the children are not what the authorities consider the correct size is scary.

    I agree with your family it was unnecessarily intrusive and a waste of time for you to have to get a doctor to sign a note about your scoliosis year after year. What happened to the idea that the parents know what is best for their children and they don't need the government telling them how to care for them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Nutrition experts are burning up calories in expressing their outrage over proposed legislation in Mississippi that would prohibit restaurants from serving obese customers."

    Wow.

    We really do have a bunch of busy bodies trying to run everyone else's life.

    ReplyDelete

Spam is not tolerated. I welcome on topic comments from you.